Saturday 26 October 2013

Is gaming now an acceptable hobby for an adult?

Short answer is no! But that doesn't make for much of an article, so let's expand on the subject.

Despite the popularity of the big franchises like Grant Theft Auto and Call of Duty or the success of the family-friendly Wii or the pervasive nature of casual games on Facebook and mobiles, it seems to me people's attitude towards gaming as a specific hobby has not improved at all over the last couple of decades. I know plenty of people who play games like Candy Crush Saga or FIFA 14 (perhaps even more than I play my games these days), but they don't consider it a hobby; it's something akin to listening to the radio in the car and given no more priority in their lives than that.

How bad is it?

It depends on who you talk to, but at the most extreme it's worse than I originally thought. Here's a quote from a guy where I work, on hearing some other guys talking about the upcoming Xbox One and PS4:

"If that's what you do with your time, you might as well commit suicide. I mean, what's the point?"

While I didn't think people's acceptance of gaming as an adult hobby had grown much, I had not realised how strongly some people felt. And as I get older (I'm in my late 30s), I'm finding people are even more bewildered by my enjoyment of gaming.

Really, gamers, it's for your own good.

But it will improve?

Maybe, but I doubt it and I have a very simple reason for saying that: just because someone likes something casually, doesn't mean they understand taking it to the next level.

Over the past decade the Marvel movies have been a huge success, with plenty of people seeing Iron-Man and Avengers in the cinema, then going on to buy the film on DVD and Blu-Ray, but only a very small percentage would go on to buy the comic books. Likewise, although millions of people bought Wii's, only a small percentage bought its most hardcore game, Monster Hunter Tri (2 million sales worldwide, compared to the 100 million Wii consoles sold).

Monster Hunter Tri -- probably not one for the Candy Crush fans
I actually think as games get more mainstream press coverage, the more of a backlash there seems to be against them. Whatever depth of gameplay there is in Grand Theft Auto V, the fact Sky News still talk about shagging hookers and then killing them to get a refund means the game probably does more damage to the medium than good. At best, non-gamers deem the coverage to be either a waste of valuable news time or some subverted form of advertising; at worst they see it as damaging to children (who shouldn't be playing such games, but in the minds of these people only kids should play games, so it's catch 22).

Likewise Call of Duty's dedicated fanbase talking about how great it is to shoot people online or World of Warcraft players talking about playing 30+ hours a week doesn't help either and neither will the inevitable footage of people queuing up for Xbox Ones and PS4s. We'll be seen as pathetic man children who have nothing better to do with their time.

It's not just games

I know plenty of people for whom the idea fiction full stop (let alone outright fantasy) is something to be shunned in adulthood. To paraphrase another guy I once worked with, on the subject of reading novels,
"As soon as I read, 'John walked into the room' I just think, no he didn't, he's not real and neither is the room." 
As far as suspension of disbelief goes, that's as fragile as it gets.

'To be or not to be?' Well, not to be, cause it's all made up!

Does this actually matter?

To me, no, there are plenty of niche hobbies I don't understand and (whether I realise it or not) sneer at, comic books and roleplaying board games among them. Equally, there are plenty of mainstream hobbies and activities I don't get, such as soap operas, reality TV and pretty much all spectator sports. 

As gamers, it's more important we understand and accept gaming's place in society and culture. The following are both fundamental to gaming as a medium, but also mean other people cannot take them seriously:
  • Games are something people first indulge in as children and so they are automatically associated with toys.
  • They focus on violence as the main sources of motivation and entertainment.
  • They are ethereal and nothing you achieve in a game exists in reality. Once the console or computer is turned off, it's gone.
  • Generally speaking, games are disposable. Once we complete a game or a sequel is released, we move on. And while this is a ostensibly a retro gaming blog, the fact it retro gaming is a pretty small niche in the community.

What can we do to improve people's attitude?

As much as you love your games, your best bet is not to take them too seriously and don't get too defensive about your hobby. Nobody like an evangelist and the more you argue, the more you are likely to reinforce people's views that mature gamers need to get a grip. In my experience I've found a version following line is your best defence when asked if you play games or why you play games:
"Yeah, I play a few games here and there. It's better than watching X Factor or Geordie Shore."
And then move on, change the subject. Admittedly talent shows and reality TV are soft targets, but that's the point. And when you get back home to your console or PC and you fire up some brilliant, awe-inspiring game that pushes our beloved hobby to new heights, games like Mass Effect, Heavy Rain, Skyrim, Fez, Journey or dare I say it, Grand Theft Auto V, remember, at the end of the day, the non-gamers of this world are the ones missing out and that's not your problem.

(For the record, the guy who made the suicide comment suggested exercise as something better to do as a hobby, which to me is on par with suggesting "eat breakfast" or "get dressed" as a hobby.)
MTW 

No comments:

Post a Comment