Monday 21 October 2013

Nostalgia Trip - Coin-ops and chlorine

Such was the ubiquitous nature of arcade machines in the 80s and early 90s that you could find them installed in all sorts of locations. I've spoken in the past about video rental shops in my home town having Street Fighter II in them, but as the idea of family pubs grew drinking establishments started to add cabinets and pinball tables along side their fruit machines, jukeboxes and pool tables. Sometimes lone machines appeared in youth clubs, chippies, cafes, launderettes, shops, cinemas and even break rooms in businesses. However, there was one non-arcade establishment that frequently trumped them all and bizarrely that was swimming pools.

The Marina Centre in Great Yarmouth had a dedicated arcade for a while.
I first played a number of significant games at swimming pools. It was in the canteen at the pool in my village where I first played Atari's vector graphics Star Wars; it was at a pool in a neighbouring town that I first played Gorf and Mikie; and it was at a surprisingly well equipped arcade at a pool in Great Yarmouth that I first played Paper Boy, Hang-On, Fire Fox and a number of other machines.

As such, taking my own kids to the pool now often brings back a strong sense of nostalgia; when I visit the same pools I used to go to as a kid, I can sometimes picture the machines they had and where they were located. Sadly these days, traditional video arcade machines and pinballs rarely have a place in modern, so-called arcades, let alone leisure centres. Where as all of the other businesses I mentioned replaced their video games and pinball tables with fruit machines and quiz machines, swimming pools have either simply removed the machines altogether or, paradoxically, replaced them with drinks and snack machines.

While it would be easy to say swimming pools got rid of their arcade machines for the same reasons as everyone else, I have to wonder if there is another, more sinister factor. The truth is, businesses simply do not want kids loitering their premises. Growing up I used to see crowds of kids congregating a number of unlikely locations, from the fountains in the shopping centre to the wall outside mini-super markets. These days such crowds of teenagers are a rare sight. Indeed there is even a device called a Mosquito alarm (also known as SonicScreen) that businesses can install outside their building that emits a high frequency sound that only people under 25 or so can hear, which is designed to irritate their young ears to the point they move away. This is all part of the demonising of teenagers that has plagued British tabloids and daytime chat shows for the past decade or so and which is incredibly unfair to the vast majority of kids. So when an old arcade throwback like myself thinks back to those days when spotting arcade machines was as easy as spotting pigeons, I have to wonder, what have these businesses really go rid of?

MTW 

No comments:

Post a Comment