Wednesday 15 February 2012

Boss Fight - Tree Stump (Fantasy Zone, 1986)

I started my new Boss Fight feature with the first game to introduce the concept of boss fights to arcade games; this month, I wanted to talk about the game that introduced me to the concept of boss fights. I would love to tell you that boss encounter was some classic end of level guardian, such as Dobkeratops from R-Type or Sagat from Street Fighter, but it was actually the Tree Stump from the first level of Sega's cute 'em up, Fantasy Zone. I first saw this on my friend's Master System console and the idea of one really tough enemy that you fought for several minutes floored me.


Like all shoot 'em up bosses, the Tree Stump had a weak spot: when it opened the hatch in the front, you had a few seconds to fire off a few shots before it sprayed bullets at you. It was a simple routine to master, but since the Tree Stump was invulnerable everywhere else, it was one you had to learn to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment