Tuesday 14 August 2012

Boss Fight - Pendragon (Raystorm, 1996)

It's my son's 6th birthday tomorrow, so this month's Boss Fight is in honour of my favourite little guy.

Like many dad's from my generation, I play video games with my kids and although his favourites are the Lego games, driving games and anything with Mario in it, I encourage him to play a broad spectrum of games from across all genres and eras. As such he's played a fair amount of arcade games and the first boss we ever faced together was Raystorm's stage 1 boss, Pendragon.


I have a fondness for Raystorm, which is why I play it with my son. At the time of its release Raystorm was a technically impressive game, but as shoot 'em ups go it is a little tame. However, the multi-limbed tank, Pendragon, is a pretty good boss, with lots of tricks up its sleeve. It has a laser turret, missiles and a homing laser and like most bosses it has weak spots you have to target and attack. Raystorm's R-Gray fighters have primary and secondary weapons, but you can only destroy certain parts of Pendragon with each. The challenging part is the way it moves out of view, sometimes exposing one of its weak spots, sometimes shielding them and attacking. If you aren't on the ball you'll either use the wrong weapon or miss your target altogether.


The result of which is that Pendragon takes quite a while to defeat; even if you're really good at the game it can take longer to beat this first boss than the whole of the first level. That is why, despite how average Raystorm is overall, Pendragon is a boss worth fighting.
MTW

No comments:

Post a Comment