Thursday 17 May 2012

Game Over

On Monday, 1st September 2008 I walked through the doors of one of the UK's oldest independent developers and my career as a technical author in the games industry began. Today I left that developer and the games industry by those same doors.

Believe me when I say, however complicated you think games are to make, they are a lot, lot more complicated than that. I have never felt so out of my depth as I did during the first couple of years. People throw around the phrase “mind blown” all the time, but during the first week my mind was blown in a such a tangible way it was like a fuse had actually popped in my head. Just Google 'global illumination', 'radiosity', 'inverse kinematics', 'cloth dynamics' or 'particle physics' and you'll see what I mean. Nonetheless, the past 3½ years have been quite a roller coaster ride and I wouldn't change a thing. I got my name on the credits of 4 released games and 2 others that are still in development and I've worked with guys who helped create some genuine classics, including Blur, Warhammer Online, Timesplitters, GTA, The Sims, Tomb Raider, Lemmings, Micro Maniacs and James Pond.

Sadly, there's little or no future for me in the games industry and I am unlikely to ever return. When I started I had dreams of becoming a designer or maybe even a producer. That idea quickly went out of the window when I discovered “crunch time” meant working 12 to 18 hour days for months on end in order to get everything done on time – a problem I was spared in my role.

And so it's time to come back down to earth, stop bumming around in jeans and a T-shirt and get a “grown up job”. I start my new job at the beginning of June, which not only shows there are jobs out there if you look, but also gives me some time to play few more games before I start.

MTW

No comments:

Post a Comment