Wednesday 30 June 2010

Classic of the Month - Space Invaders

Manufacturer:Taito
Genre:Shoot 'em up
Board:Dedicated Intel 8080-based hardware
Year:1978

When I decided to do a monthly spotlight on classic arcade games, it was difficult to know where to begin.  In the end, I decided to go for the first arcade machine I can remember seeing, Space Invaders. I was 7 or 8 and my family were on holiday in Cromer. We went to a fish and chip shop and there by the counter was Space Invaders. I didn't know what the game was called, in fact I don't think I fully understood what it was, but I remember the artwork -- because it gave me nightmares. Those hulking, faceless beasts, stomping through a mountain range (or was it meant to be the moon? I still don't know) looked nothing like the simple sprites in the game, but it was an iconic image nonetheless.

 
The first time I actually played Space Invaders was on my older brother's BBC Micro B a few years later and it was several years later still that I made the connection between the game I played at home and the arcade machine with the scary monsters on it.

Over the years, Space Invaders has had several updates, most noteably Space Invaders '91 and Space Invaders Extreme - the latter of which is brilliant.  For now, let's just remind ourselves of the original, courtesy of YouTube user Laoch111:


MTW

No comments:

Post a Comment