Sunday 29 May 2011

Classic of the Month - Gun Fight

Manufacturer:Midway
Genre:Shooter
Board:Dedicated Intel 8080-based hardware
Year:1975

It's my birthday this month, so I thought I'd talk about a game from the year I was born, 1975 (oh God, I really am 36 now, aren't I?).   Anyway, this month's classic is Midway's Gun Fight, which was actually based on Taito's 1974 game Western Gun.  In the early to mid-1970s, games were still very primitive and most were variations of Atari's hit game Pong!  Despite the wild west theme and the six shooter action, so too was Gun Fight.  It was a two player only and the game play consisted of the players facing off, in true Spaghetti Western style.  Where it starts to feel like Pong is in the way the bullets can be ricocheted off the top and bottom of the screen.  The controls consisted of a 4-way joystick that controlled the character and a pistol grip with a trigger, which only tilted vertically, controlling the gun, making for fairly visceral and intense action - even by today's standards. 

MTW

No comments:

Post a Comment